Case Study 2:
An off-grid power supply
Motukiekie Island, New Zealand
FlexPower 3 from Outback Power - an ideal
solution for an off-grid system on an island
- Remote 30 hectare private island with no mains power available
- Existing off grid system had been out grown and was starting to fail
- Batteries were at the end of service life with some failed cells
- 3 x solar arrays of various ages
- Numerous generator failures
Customer: Private residence
Project: An off-grid system improvement
Location: Motukiekie Island, New Zealand
Size: 3.5 kW peak power 12 x 290 watt
Yingli monocrystalline PV modules
Commissioned: September 2017
Design & supply: Independent Power
Installation: Kiwi Electrical Services
- Removal of old arrays and installation of new PV arrays
- Installation of new Outback FPA3, 48 volt 9kW system
- Install new Juice Lithium battery bank
- Install new generator
- General tidy up of existing AC distribution board and cabling
- New fully compliant system
- System reliability
- Increased capacity of both storage and otput
- The upgraded PV array with greater generation was well suited to the high charging current of the lithium batteries
- Remote monitoring now available
“When asked to upgrade the power system on a remote off grid island, the Outback products were an easy choice for this project as they offered proven reliability, and when coupled with the Outback OpticsRE remote monitoring feature, they are the obvious choice for a remote location.
The timing of the project meant we had the option of the new Outback FPA prewired system. We selected the FPA3. The installation was simple and quick, and knowing you are installing a fully compliant NZ system with the correct isolation and protection devices, was important to us, not to mention the time saved onsite.
The FPA system's design allowed ample room for our incoming and outgoing cables and the option for future expansion should it be needed.
From the property owner's perspective, the system is very neat and the Mate 3 home screen offers the owner information they want at a glance. Also, the intuitive function of the Mate 3 allows for easy navigation should it be needed."
KIWI ELECTRICAL SERVICES LTD